Sunday, April 13, 2008

2 Life insurance Headaches!

1. My mom and her live-in boyfriend of 20 years both passed away within 34 days of each other. He passed on 01/01/08 of natural causes. She was his primary beneficiary. My mom was capable of and did authorize the funeral home to be payed by the first (burial) policy. I had power of attorney over my moms affairs. She asked me to file a claim with his second life insurance co. I did so. My mom then passed away on 02/03/08. Is my moms estate the rightful beneficiary of the second policy or will it go to his brother the secondary beneficiary? 2. My mom was married to a different man in 1980. They went seperate ways but never divorced. My mom did not name a beneficiary on one of her policies. Indiana laws govern that it automatically goes to her husband. We have not seen or heard from since 1980 when they split. He physically abused my mother and her three daughters often when they where together. He is a homeless repeat sex offender in Washington State. Could I win if I contest his beneficiary claim?

No comments: