Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wife got rear-ended at a light

Hi there, I've had a great couple of hours reading back through the archives at all of the stories and advice - seems like you guys are very helpful. Last week my wife and 5 month old were stopped at a red light in Oregon and got rear-ended by a Pontiac Grand Prix. The impact pushed her (1st impact) into a minivan, and that into a Grand Cherokee. Mitigating factors were time of day (the sun is directly in view in the evening there) and so the driver at fault was not cited but is still being held liable. Her insurance company (Allied/Nationwide) has talked to enough people (everyone but the occupants of the Jeep who got an attorney) to accept liability for the accident. My wife and son have both gone to the doctor's and been checked out, and both seem to be doing alright - my wife had a bump on her head and still has some neck soreness and the baby appears to be fine. My wife has also had a few headaches this last weekend, which may or may not be related. Our car however is probably totaled - it's a 2000 Ford Contour with 102,000 miles. The impact completely took off the rear bumper, both rear quarter panels and damaged the frame in the back where the bumper attaches. There is also minor damage to the front bumper. The cost of the damage and total value of the car are still being assessed, but my insurance adjuster (USAA) said I should be looking around for new cars. Hopefully that's enough background, on to the questions! First off - the Allied agent was here today and had a settlement offer for my wife and son. Allied has already agreed to pay (separate from any settlement) to replace the three car seats that were in the car, our medical deductible that USAA will want from us, and are providing a rental vehicle for the duration. Now for the settlement they are offering $250 for my son's pain and suffering and $350 for my wife's, with an additional medical allowance of any reasonable care, up to $3000 for the next month (for wife only). We don't really think that anything is seriously wrong with them, but are there any additional medical problems that could crop up down the road that we should be thinking of before signing? We don't want to be greedy car victims, but we don't want to be stuck with unpaid medical bills later on either. We have a month to accept this offer, after which she says they'll need additional proof of things (she called this an early settlement). So far I've been happy working with the insurance agent, but I also realize that her job is to save the company as much money as possible. Next question: how can I find out how much my car is worth, and how do I factor in things like snow tires and recent repairs? The tires that are on it now are literally brand new - I bought them the Saturday before the accident (which was Wednesday). It also has an upgraded radio, new speakers, and recent engine work. I'm worried that I'll be given their appraisal of my car's value and an offer to replace it and be forced to buy something in a hurry or start paying for the car rental myself out of pocket. It seems like there should be some way to claim andquot;pain and sufferingandquot; for the inconvenience of having to buy a car when it wasn't your fault that you need another one... Oh well, thanks in advance for the help, and let me know if you need any additional information. -Brian

No comments: