Sunday, April 27, 2008

Does calling to discuss a claim result in premium increase?

I had a minor, single car, fender bender (more like fender scraper) incident in a rental car in February. No other cars, no police, just scraped the front bumper on the wall in a parking garage. I received claim documentation from the rental car company last week, and the bill came out to about $1500. I'm working on deciding whether to put this on my auto insurance ($500 deductable). I'm interested in what (if any) effect this would have on my premiums. Obviously, I can call my agent to talk about it, but I want to say I saw somewhere that having a conversation like this with your agent is enough to trigger an increase in premiums - regardless of whether you actually file the claim or not. Is this true? Also - what is the likelihood of my rates going up for this? I'm with Allstate, have been for about 3 or 4 years with a homeowner policy, auto policy, and an RV policy. No claims or moving violations since I've been with them. Only one auto claim and only a few moving violations (all dismissed thru defensive driving) in the 12 years before Allstate. No history of delinquent payments. Great credit score. Any thoughts are appreciated..

No comments: